This could be us … But you playing.
For my girls that are single on Valentine's Day, whether it's because homeboy is tripping or because you were tripping, this post is for you. If you're a "I'm single and I don't need a man" type, your post is coming. But sorry honey, this isn't it.
We've all been there at least once in our lives. Valentine's Day rolls around, and we have no one special to celebrate it with. Everyone keeps telling you "girl, you don't need a man" or "the right one is coming, just wait." Deep down you know this to be true, but you're not worried about that right now. You're focused on how you feel TODAY, right here, in this moment. Maybe he dumped you. Maybe you dumped him. Maybe he cheated. Maybe he's just an idiot. Maybe you read too deep into that text and got your hopes up … whatever it is, grab a glass of wine, and let's talk this out.
This could be us, but you playing.
Five Ways to Survive Valentine's Day ... Single
1. Call your SINGLE girlfriends, get dressed up and go out! Don't call your married/committed friends ... we can't help you today. And even if we can help you and are willing to talk you through it, you'll remember mid-convo that, "that chic has a man ... and I don't." #fatality. Just trust me here.
2. Go dancing. Not the dancing type? Even more reason to just go out and have a good time. Take your mind off of your sorrows and let loose!
3. Let go. Release. Sometimes my favorite way to do this is to scream at the top of my lungs or sing my favorite songs in the car or in the shower. When I was in college, my girlfriends and I were all going through various forms of heartbreak at the same time, and we would sit in the dark (literally, pitch black), lay on the floor and listen to the Me'Shell Ndegeocello song "Fool of Me" on repeat. Looking back now, it's both sad and hilarious, but man, if you need to wallow in pain for 3 minutes and 30 seconds, that song will surely help you through it! Even if you're in a loving relationship, I caution you ... this song will take you to a dark place! LOL (Janika and KC don't hate me for sharing this!)
4. "Love yourself girl or nobody will." Celebrate YOU! I feel like that's a whole blog series within itself but seriously, rather than focusing on being single and the idiot who left you, celebrate how beautiful, successful, smart and amazing you are! Pop a bottle of champagne and repeat after me "I'm a bad chic!" It may sound cliche, but you know I'm right. Plus, it'll definitely work.
5. If all else fails, pour yourself a glass of wine (or 3), turn on Netflix, and treat the day like any other day. Because really, that's all it is. Oh, and buy yourself some flowers, because you deserve it. PRO TIP: wait to buy the chocolate the day after, it'll be on sale :)
Mwah 💋 You got this girl! Any single girls out there that can share what they do to conquer V-Day?
Thanks for stopping by! I'm so grateful for each of you that reads my blog. And thank you to my sweet husband for reliving my single days with me and providing endless eye rolls while proof reading this ;) #therealmvp
"Now back to what I was saying ... this could be us, but you playing" - Rae Sremmurd
Photos: Samya Hall of SH Photography